Research & Tech Systems Fellow
Title: Research & Technology Systems Fellow
Reports to: Impact Director
Timing: Year-long, July 2019 – June 2020, with flexibility on start date
Location: Based in rural Western Kenya (field-based position)
Compensation: Monthly stipend, travel, plus accommodation and meals
Lwala Community Alliance (Lwala) is a community-led innovator proving that when communities lead, change is drastic and lasting. We were founded by a group of community members facing the dual crisis of maternal and child mortality and HIV transmission, who organized to build our region’s first health clinic and then engaged the research prowess of Vanderbilt University to rigorously measure our interventions. Today, Lwala is much more than a hospital; we run a community-led health model making dramatic improvements in maternal and child health, including a 64% reduction in child mortality, a 97% skilled delivery rate, and a 300% increase in contraceptive uptake.
We are now the largest provider of health services for a population of over 60,000. The work extends far beyond the original hospital as we support communities in their homes, schools, and farms to advance their own comprehensive well-being. We address the complex causes of poor health through a multi-dimensional strategy, which engages community members in driving their own change.
The Research & Technology Systems Fellow is a 1-year fellowship intended to be filled by a young professional early in their career. The successful candidate will work alongside the Monitoring & Evaluation Fellow, as co-Fellows. Both Fellows will be accommodated onsite at Lwala, in our guesthouse.
Lwala’s M&E team has been growing over the last few years to support and strengthen the organization’s high-quality programming and to carry out research on Lwala’s successes in the region. Lwala is growing its data management systems and working to carry out rigorous research simultaneously. This fellowship position would largely focus on two areas:
- Expansion of data systems, building off of the work of the current Technology Systems Fellow, and would also include assisting the Systems Administrator with management of data quality, integrity, and feedback to program teams.
- Design and implementation of high-quality research and evaluation activities, including data quality audits, data analysis, evidence reviews, and research management tasks for the Impact Director and Vanderbilt researchers.
The Research & Technology Systems Fellow will also support team members and local community health workers in growing their technological and research literacy. Helping to build the capacity of team members in Kenya in their ability to use cutting-edge technology will directly benefit the overall programmatic capability at Lwala. Promoting best practices around evidence-based programming and generating research will ensure Lwala programs and staff utilize data for learning and impact.
The Research & Technology Systems Fellow will sit within the Monitoring & Evaluation team and report to the M&E Manager in Kenya and the Impact Director (remote). The Fellow will be working in partnership with an international co-fellow also serving a 1-year fellowship. The Fellow will work closely with the M&E Fellow, the Systems Administrator, M&E Officers, the Data Assistant, and the Community Programs Coordinator, but will interact with nearly all staff members of the organization.
- Participate in the ongoing development of Lwala’s data systems:
- Contribute to the build out and integration of data systems, including Salesforce, Open FN, CommCare, OpenMRS/electronic medical records system, and mobile data collection. Lead data systems expansion processes through the entire systems development lifecycle, including requirements gathering, development, testing, and user adoption. Provide guidance and leadership in the next steps of the process, collaborating closely with other members of the M&E team.
- Participate in training the Kenya team on utilizing and developing the data systems, including training on data entry, data management, building and running reports, data quality checks, data visualization, etc.
- Participate in program evaluations and research at Lwala:
- Help to develop program evaluation tools and structures for new and existing programs, including building and designing survey tools and maintaining data collection processes, and providing feedback to organization and program leadership on results to guide decision-making.
- Participate in Lwala’s Impact evaluation and program-specific surveys, by developing survey tools and/or generating analysis and write-up of results.
- Provide support to the M&E team on integration of evaluation results with other ongoing monitoring, data analysis, data visualization, etc., always ensuring that evaluations are integrated with existing data management systems at Lwala, particularly Salesforce.
- Learn and provide support to Kenyan staff on the following data management systems/processes, besides Salesforce:
- Excel – data collection and management support and data analysis support
- Dropbox – file organization, version control and management for productivity
- Photo taking, storage, and sharing – training and support
- New systems being piloted – Power BI, QGIS, OpenStreetMap
- Assist in donor reporting and proposal development as it relates to data and research. Work with the U.S. team and program teams to write progress updates, both on specific indicators and on overall program progress. Work with the Kenya and U.S. teams to write aspects of donor proposals related to program outcomes and indicators, and program ideas.
- Work with relevant Kenyan staff on developing writing and story-telling capabilities to assist in donor reporting, proposal development, and general communications.
- Assist with hosting visitors to Lwala, including Board members, donors, peer organizations and Vanderbilt students at points throughout the year
- Other responsibilities as mutually agreed upon with supervisor
- A degree or relevant experience in computer science, technology systems, and/or database management; quantitative statistics / econometrics; or related field
- Background in research, data analysis, and/or development of M&E systems
- Proficiency with STATA, electronic data collection software (ODK, REDCap) strongly preferred
- Experience in community development programs, international experience is preferred
- Interest in Information and Communication Technologies for Development (ICT4D)
- Some experience living in a developing country, preferably in Africa
- Ability to learn quickly and take initiative
- Patience and resilience
- Self-motivation and resourcefulness
- A proven ability to work with teams to build capacity in technical areas
- Successful experience working with people from different cultural backgrounds
- Curiosity and a sense of humor
Please reference “Research & Tech Systems Fellow” in the subject line, and send the following to Jenny Robinson at email@example.com:
- Current CV/resume
- Letter of Interest detailing related skills and experience
- 3 professional references with name, title, email, phone contact, and relationship to the applicant