Operations Manager in Kenya
Lwala Community Alliance (Lwala) is a community-led innovator proving that when communities lead, change is drastic and lasting. Founded by Kenyans, Lwala’s team now has 85 staff members and engages over 200 community health workers. We have leveraged this bottom-up, multidimensional approach in an all-out effort to drastically reduce maternal and child mortality! We are tackling the key drivers of deaths – gender inequity, barriers to education, poverty, unplanned pregnancies, unskilled deliveries, and delayed treatment of childhood illnesses.
We are on a 5-year strategic initiative to scaling our community-led health model to reach 1,000,000 people by 2020.
The Operations Manager will report to the Hospital and Operations Director and will work closely with senior management and program team leads in supporting and overseeing procurement and logistics services to ensure required supplies of commodities, facilities and service needs for program activities are mobilized efficiently and in a timely manner. Additional responsibilities include efficient management of inventory and assets, fleet management and overseeing special projects.
Procurement and Logistics Management
• Manage the entire processes of procurement and supply chain activities, inventory control, logistics and distribution while ensuring effectively-functioning processes to avoid costly delays and lost opportunities
• Ensure strict adherence to procurement policy and procedures in the purchase of goods and services across programs and the organization.
• Introduce process improvements in the supply chain and identify new vendors/suppliers without jeopardizing quality and service delivery
• Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual procurement plans and progress reports whenever required
• Ensure transparent and competitive procurements are conducted and properly documented as required, lead the bid solicitation process and developing bid evaluation criteria
• Call for and oversee selection committees to review applications and select vendors while ensuring the integrity of the competitive process
• Facilitates bidder debriefings where necessary, and exercises appropriate judgment and tact while ensuring to protect confidential information.
• Conduct systematic reviews of Lwala’s operational systems and lead improvements to ensure value for money, transparency and organizational best practices are maintained during growth phase
• Ensure effective coordination of transport and travel logistics for staff and visitors.
• Oversee and ensure robust, functional, effective and efficient ICT resources and services at Lwala
Management and Maintenance of Facilities and Equipment
• Ensure that all organization’s furniture and equipment are well maintained and are in serviceable and good working condition.
• Prepare and manage vendor contracts, leases, tenancy agreements, service delivery and maintenance contracts to ensure compliance.
• Ensure property, premises and facilities are well maintained, both externally and internally.
• Supervise building and construction of premises, facilities, installations and designated roads.
• Ensure all necessary operating licenses are obtained on time as required by county and national governments.
Financial Management and Reporting
• Prepare and implement the unit’s annual budget and work plan.
• Monitor and control the unit’s expenditure to ensure that it is within budget and in compliance with organization’s policies and procedures.
• Submit financial reports for the unit to the Finance Director and Kenya Leadership Team within established timelines and schedules.
Occupational Health and Safety
• Facilitate implementation of occupational safety and health policies and procedures in line with Ministry of Health regulations for Level 4 health facilities.
• Be the focal point for and ensure staff adherence to security, safety and health policies and procedures and advisories at all times.
• In coordination with the Talent Manager, ensure key members of staff and visitors are trained on security, safety and health regulations and disaster preparedness.
• Monitor and advise leadership on emerging security concerns and threats, follow through with international safety and security advisories and guide visitors and international staff as appropriate.
Who we are looking for
- You hold a relevant Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Business Management, Commerce or a Higher Diploma in Procurement and Logistics Management.
- You are a certified by a relevant professional regulator, e.g. CIPS membership
- You have a Minimum 3 -5 years project procurement management experience, preferably in a health-related project in a similar setting as Lwala
You have the cultural fit to join our team if
- You proactively initiate action when you see a problem, regardless of whether it is “your job” or not. You enjoy working with minimal
- You have genuine passion, love and respect for the people we serve
- You have clear communication and can work with people from diverse cultures
- You possess strong leadership, analytical and organizational skills; demonstrated ability to work both independently and within a team, assess priorities, and manage multiple activities with attention to detail
Why work with us?
- Be part of scaling a community-led health model across Western Kenya and beyond
- Lwala has a very collegiate and amiable working environment
- Join a passionate team with high ethical standards and personal integrity
- We offer a welfare package relevant to Migori’s realities: Medical treatment at Lwala Community Hospital using NHIF, reimbursable medical referral scheme, pension scheme, Group Personal Accident/ WIBA cover, staff meals are provided (tea and lunch)
The role is based in our main office next to the hospital in Rongo. We are around 12 km from the nearest town (Rongo) where most of our team lives. We are looking for someone who is excited about living and working in a rural setup for a minimum of 2-3 years.
Want to apply?
Please email your CV, a cover letter, availability and salary expectations to The Talent Development and Engagement Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 20th March, 2019.