Job Title: Marketing & Communications Internship
Reports to: Development Manager
Location: Nashville, TN or Remote
Lwala Community Alliance (Lwala) is a community-led innovator proving that when communities lead, change is drastic and lasting. A small community in rural western Kenya founded the organization as a response to extreme health challenges. The region experiences some of the highest HIV, maternal mortality, and infant mortality rates in East Africa. As such, community members built their region’s first health center.
From these humble beginnings, Lwala is now the largest provider of health services for a population of over 60,000 people. The work extends far beyond the original hospital, as we support communities in their homes, schools, and farms to advance their own comprehensive well-being. We address the complex causes of poor health through a multi-dimensional strategy, which engages community members in driving their own change. We have built a model for community-led health and are now working with the Ministry of Health to improve how millions of Kenyans access healthcare.
Lwala is seeking a digitally savvy, amiable, quick-witted self-starter. Core responsibilities for this internship are social media engagement, e-mail marketing, and overall quality assurance for our digital space. As a Marketing & Communications Intern, you will be instrumental in implementing the Lwala voice across multiple digital platforms and will also help ensure our digital space is bug-free by providing quality assurance to all digital engagement. You will make the essential connections between our work internationally, our campaigns, and our donors.
This is an unpaid internship. In the alternative, credit is available to those eligible.
- Work with Development Manager to identify effective social strategy across platforms (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Vimeo) and create a campaign-specific social media strategy
- Produce creative, bespoke content for social media posts and website content using a design software
- Track and report on digital metrics with respect to following as well as conversion with a view to implementing insights and optimizing performance online
- Maximize the impact of online content to keep Lwala communities connected to our work, including trialing innovative new digital strategies and content ideas
- Copywriting email campaigns and social media posts based on a data-driven understanding of Lwala’s audience and brand
- Management of social media communities including managing comments, questions, liking posts and responding to direct messages
- Identifying influencers or influential organizations online that Lwala should partner with
- Quality Assurance of catching bugs, orchestrating usability tests, and beta testing all email marketing campaigns
- In pursuit of an Associate, Bachelor, or graduate degree or recent grad in communications, marketing, or graphic design
- Strong understanding of digital communication platforms (social media, email marketing, and web)
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to synthesize complex information into simple, clear communications
- Passion for social media, digital culture, influencers, branding, and building online communities
- Self-motivated and capable of taking initiative to find solutions
Please send the following to Jennifer Robinson at email@example.com
- Current CV / Resume
- Short description including how you heard about this position
- Writing, Marketing, or Social Media Sample