Project Manager - USAID Afya Halisi
Lwala Community Alliance (Lwala) is a community-led innovator proving that when communities lead, change is drastic and lasting. Founded by Kenyans, Lwala’s team now has 85 staff members and engages over 200 community health workers. We have leveraged this bottom-up, multidimensional approach in an all-out effort to drastically reduce maternal and child mortality! We are tackling the key drivers of deaths – gender inequity, barriers to education, poverty, unplanned pregnancies, unskilled deliveries, and delayed treatment of childhood illnesses. We are on a 5-year strategic initiative to scaling our community-led health model to reach 1,000,000 people by 2020.
Position: Project Manager USAID Afya Halisi Project
Lwala Community Alliance has received funding from USAID Afya Halisi to strengthen community demand for FP/RMNCAHN/WASH services in Rongo Sub County, Migori County. Afya Halisi, now in its third year is a five year USAID funded project working with the Kenya National Ministry of Health (MOH) and the four focus county governments of Kakamega, Kisumu, Kitui, and Migori to deliver quality, integrated services in family planning, reproductive, maternal, newborn, child and adolescent health, nutrition, and water, sanitation, and hygiene (FP/RMNCAHN/WASH) to those most in need. The sub-award will be implemented for a period of 12 months, with the possibility of extension based on performance and availability of funds. Consequently, Lwala seeks to fill the following position for the Project:
Project Manager (1)
The holder of the position will be responsible for overall coordination of the Afya Halisi project in Lwala leading in planning, management coordination, liaison, technical activity implementation oversight, reporting and ensuring direct management and compliance for all USAID Afya Halisi project.
- Provide leadership on project planning, implementation, and review; reporting and financial accountability for the sub award.
- Ensure compliance with donor policies and procedures as stipulated in the sub-award in the management and coordination of field operations.
- Represent Lwala & Afya Halisi in various stakeholder forums and donor meetings in close liaison with the director for health systems.
- Ensure timely and quality project reporting including monthly, quarterly and annual reports
Specifically, the Project Coordinator will:
- Provide oversight on the implementation of the project work plan and ensure compliance with all USAID Afya Halisi sub award conditions.
- Lead the rollout and strengthening of community based activities for FP/RMNCAHN/WASH.
- Coordinate integration of Afya Halisi project activities into existing programs delivered by Lwala
- Coordinate with the project teams on activity monitoring to ensure the achievement of expected project outcomes.
- Responsible for program reporting both quantitative and qualitative reporting ensuring that appropriate data is collected by implementing teams and reported to Afya Halisi in requisite termly formats and reports.
- Work closely with the M&E team to ensure that robust M&E systems are in place to track, analyze and report results of the project.
- Work with other Afya Halisi staff to ensure a common and unified approach to programming and achievement of sub award deliverables.
- Lead work planning and budgeting review and processes for the subsequent phases the project
Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelors’ or Masters’ degree in Public Health, Project planning, Operations, Social Science, Development Studies or any other related fields.
- Excellent programme development and management skills
- Demonstratable experience working in a USAID program with responsibility for program/project management.
- Excellent analytical and report writing skills on any of the technical areas such as FP, RMNCAH and WASH.
- Proven experience of not less than 5 years, 3 of which must have been in a project leadership position preferably in USAID program.
- Knowledge and experience in using social accountability for health
- Knowledge of project cycle management
- Experience in project/ program implementation and leadership
- Ability to work in teams and matrix organizational structures.
- Great at relationship building and comfort working at community and policy level
- Deep commitment to and respect for communities served.
- Strong in understanding USAID procedures and compliance enforcement
Applications should be sent via email (including your CV and a cover letter stating your suitability for the position to: The Talent Engagement Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible. We will process applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Only successful candidates will be consulted.