U.S. Social Media Internship
POSITION: SOCIAL MEDIA INTERNSHIP
Reports to: Development Director
Lwala is seeking a digitally savvy, amiable, quick-witted self-starter. Core responsibilities for this internship are social media engagement, e-mail marketing, and overall quality assurance for our digital space. As a Social Media Intern, you will be instrumental in implementing the Lwala voice across multiple digital platforms and will also help ensure our digital space is bug-free by providing quality assurance to all digital engagement. You will make the essential connections between our work internationally, our campaigns, and our donors.
Lwala Community Alliance (Lwala) is a community-led innovator proving that when communities lead, change is drastic and lasting. A small community in rural western Kenya founded the organization as a response to extreme health challenges. The region experiences some of the highest HIV, maternal mortality, and infant mortality rates in East Africa. As such, community members built their region’s first health center.
From these humble beginnings, Lwala is now the largest provider of health services for a population of over 90,000 people. The work extends far beyond the original hospital, as we support communities in their homes, schools, and farms to advance their own comprehensive well-being. We address the complex causes of poor health through a multi-dimensional strategy, which engages community members in driving their own change. We have built a model for community-led health and are now working with the Ministry of Health to improve how millions of Kenyans access healthcare.
- Work with Development Director to identify effective social strategy across platforms (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Vimeo) and create a campaign-specific social media strategy
- Produce creative, bespoke content for social media posts and website content using a design software
- Track and report on digital metrics with respect to following as well as conversion with a view to implementing insights and optimizing performance online
- Maximize the impact of online content to keep Lwala communities connected to our work, including trialing innovative new digital strategies and content ideas
- Copywriting email campaigns and social media posts based on a data-driven understanding of Lwala’s audience and brand
- Management of social media communities including managing comments, questions, liking posts and responding to direct messages
- Identifying influencers or influential organizations online that Lwala should partner with
- Quality Assurance of catching bugs, orchestrating usability tests, and beta testing all email marketing campaigns
- In pursuit of an Associate, Bachelor, or graduate degree or recent grad in communications, marketing, or graphic design
- Strong understanding of digital communication platforms (social media, email marketing, and web)
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to synthesize complex information into simple, clear communications
- Passion for social media, digital culture, influencers, branding, and building online communities
- Self-motivated and capable of taking initiative to find solutions
- Demonstrated interest in global health, international development or social justice
- This is an unpaid internship. Course credit is available to those eligible.
- Interns must be willing to work a minimum of 10 hours/week and commit to at least 3 months. Must be willing to commit time regardless of course load, or clearly communicate schedule needs in advance.
- Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic, our internship positions will require working remotely until further notice.
Please send the following to Lauren Marlar at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Current CV / Resume
- Letter of Interest detailing related skills and experience
- 3 professional or academic references with name, title, email, phone contact, and relationship to the applicant
- Writing, Marketing, or Social Media Sample