Communications & Development Officer / Manager
U.S. - Remote
Title: Communications and Development Manager / Officer
(title based on experience)
Start date: Open until filled
Travel: 2 – 4 trips to Kenya each year, 1 – 2 domestic trips
Founded by a group of committed Kenyans, Lwala Community Alliance is building the capacity of rural communities to advance their own comprehensive wellbeing. Lwala believes that communities have untapped potential to solve the world’s most pressing challenges. We connect community innovation with university-backed research to tackle the multidimensional causes of poor health. Backed by evidence of impact, we build coalitions of communities, frontline health workers, civil society, and government to advance high-quality health for all. This bottom-up change promises holistic solutions that are custom-built for the systems they are meant to reform.
Lwala Community Alliance prides itself on programmatic and operational excellence. In the last five years, we have grown from $1.3m to over $5m in annual revenue, bolstered by a loyal community of funders spanning private foundations and individuals to technical health funders and bilaterals. Lwala’s commitment to excellence is reflected in its careful stewardship of donor funding and transparent communication of program impact.
Lwala’s reporting, development, and communications processes have been evolving to better drive learning and feedback loops within the organization and to external stakeholders. These organizational elements are intertwined and require communication and coordination between them in order to drive impact, learning and growth. In doing so, this individual will contribute to the rapid growth of the organization and the reach of its mission.
The Communications and Development Manager / Officer is responsible for stewarding a portfolio of grant funders and directing the storytelling of the organization. This individual plays a critical role in translating Lwala’s impact on the ground into collateral for external engagement, including communications, reports, and other fundraising materials. S/he will also play a key role in strengthening Lwala’s internal impact reporting and management systems, working closely across the development and program teams.. This position offers exposure to executive-level strategy on advocacy, communications, development, fundraising including: leading advocacy initiatives, participating in institutional donor engagement, representing Lwala at high-level conferences, supporting grants management, and developing program proposals.
Further, the Communications and Development Manager / Officer will support team members in growing their skills in writing and telling stories. Helping to build the capacity of team members in their ability to fully understand, talk about and share program results will directly benefit the overall mission of Lwala Community Alliance.
The Communications and Development Manager / Officer sits within the Development team, with significant collaboration with the M&E and Programs team. The position title is flexible, based on experience, and there is advancement potential to manager and director-level positions.
Position Description: The responsibilities of Communications and Development Manager / Officer include, but are not limited to, the following:
- In partnership with the Health Systems Director, drive advocacy strategy and related campaigns that aim to advance global health equity and promote Universal Health Coverage in Kenya
- Develop and implement organizational marketing and communications strategy targeting: key funders, global health norm setters, national policy makers, and peer organizations
- Travel 2-4 times annually to Kenya to gather pitch resources and program/project updates
- Gather and adapt content for social media, marketing, and development purposes
- Lead content strategy and execution on social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp, LinkedIn and Instagram)
- Lead distribution of donor communication materials
- Support business development and new partner scoping
- Lead the creation of conference abstracts, research presentations, and donor presentations
Grants Management and Reporting
- Drive production of quarterly Insider Reports
- Steward a portfolio of institutional donors, with a special focus on private donors in the venture philanthropy space
- Draft reports to funders
- Support maintenance of comprehensive database of current grant funders and track reporting requirements and deadlines
- Support Research and Learning team to maintain donor metrics and manage workflow of reporting data
- Provide support to the R&L team on integration of evaluation results with other ongoing monitoring, data analysis, data visualization, etc.
Proposal and Program Development
- Work with Co-CEOs and Development Director on donor prospecting and organizational positioning and visibility strategy
- Lead outlining and drafting letters of inquiry, concept papers, and proposal submissions for new grants and grant renewals, with special attention to program narratives, work plans, milestones, and budgets
**Other duties as assigned
- Familiarity with public health concepts, systems and strategy required; experience in public health program communication strongly preferred.
- A degree or relevant experience in international development, global public health, public administration, communications, marketing or related field, master degree preferred
- Experience working in a field-based position in East Africa preferred
- Familiarity with global health concepts, systems, and actors
- Strong writing abilities, both creative and analytical, including strong editing skills
- Experience with nonprofit grants, donor reporting, and proposal writing
- Experience leading or contributing to nonprofit marketing, communications, or public relations strategies
- Familiarity with digital and social media content creation and engagement strategy
- Mastery of Office Suite required, proficiency with Adobe Illustrator or similar editing tools preferred
- Maturity to tolerate nuance, handle competing priorities, and communicate with executive-level leadership
- Process-oriented with capacity to develop and drive workplans and meet deadlines
- Exposer to website design and management with experience in WordPress preferred
- Ability to learn quickly and take initiative
- Patience and resilience
- Self-motivation and resourcefulness
- A proven ability to work with teams
- Successful experience working with people from different cultural backgrounds
- Curiosity and a sense of humor
Please send the following to email@example.com with the subject line “Communications and Development”:
- Current CV/resume
- Letter of Interest detailing related skills and experience
- 3 professional references with name, title, email, phone contact, and relationship to the applicant
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.