Remote Part-time Administrative and Communications Assistant
U.S. - Remote
Title: Remote Part-time Administrative and Communications Assistant
Reports to: Mary Mulliken, Office Manager
Lwala Community Alliance (Lwala) is a community-led innovator proving that when communities lead, change is drastic and lasting.
Lwala village, a small community in rural western Kenya, founded the organization as a response to extreme health challenges. The region experiences some of the highest HIV, maternal mortality, and infant morality rates in East Africa. As such, community members made plans to build the area’s first health center.
Tragically, just 3 weeks before the groundbreaking ceremony, the chairman of the effort passed away from HIV. His two sons, Milton and Fred Ochieng’ – who had won scholarships to Dartmouth College and later Vanderbilt University Medical School – returned for their father’s funeral and joined the effort to build the hospital. After 2 years of fundraising, the Ochieng’ brothers and their village opened the health center in 2007 and founded the Lwala Community Alliance.
From these humble beginnings, we are now the largest provider of health services for a population of over 30,000 people. The work extends far beyond the original hospital as we support communities in their homes, schools, and farms to advance their own comprehensive well-being. We address the complex causes of poor health through a multi-dimensional strategy, which engages community members in driving their own change.
The part-time Administrative and Communications Assistant, overseen by the Office Manager, will provide key support in two primary capacities:
- Administrative support to the U.S. staff, assist in all aspects of general office maintenance and management, perform general clerical duties, and conduct general administrative duties including event support, management of the donor database, and meeting coordination and research
- Communications support to the U.S. and Kenya staff, assisting in the creation and posting of social media content and posts, tracking digital metrics, managing social media communities, assisting with quality assurance and troubleshooting issues, and researching new outlets for coverage.
Position Description: your main responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
Assist Office Manager:
- Provide OM leverage in moving projects forward by assisting with information gathering, communicating with different parties, developing and monitoring plans, keeping track ofresponsibilities and so on
- Support organization of team meetings and take notes as needed
- Assist with board meeting logistics and board book compilation
- Assist in research and preparation for conferences
- Manage donor database
- Process donor payments and monthly donations
- Assist with mailings and special campaigns
- Coordinate, track and mail donor thank you’s
- Assist with special events
- Assist with website management
- Support reconciliation of donor database with accounting records
- Assist in tracking registrations, certificates, insurance policies, and other forms of compliance to ensure they are up to date.
- Produce creative, bespoke content for social media posts and website content using a design software
- Track and report on digital metrics with respect to following as well as conversion with a view to implementing insights and optimizing performance online
- Maximize the impact of online content to keep Lwala communications connected to our work, including trialing innovative new digital strategies and content ideas
- Copywriting email campaigns and social media posts based on a data-driven understanding of Lwala ‘s audience and brand
- Management of social media communities including managing comments, questions, liking posts and responding to direct messages
- Identifying influencers or influential organizations online that Lwala should partner with
- Quality Assurance of catching bugs, orchestrating usability tests, and beta testing all email marketing campaigns
- Assist with developing, implementing, and streamlining office systems
- Assist interns and volunteers
- Assist human resource functions for US staff: policies, health insurance, retirement program, compliance, etc.
- Assist in general office coordination
- Perform general clerical duties
- Bachelors degree in relevant field required
Skills and Experience:
- Strong written and oral communication
- Excellent problem solving skills and ability to work independently
- At least 2 years of office work experience
- Knowledge of principles and practices of organization, records management, and general administration
- Ability to manage multiple tasks with varying deadlines
- Demonstrated interest in international development and justice issues
- Professionalism in demeanor, written and oral communication
- An initiative taker and problem solver
- Detail and task-oriented
- Strong commitment to working in a fast-paced environment
Please send the following to Mary Mulliken at email@example.com:
- Current resume
- Letter of Interest detailing related skills and experience
- 3 professional references with name, title, email, phone contact, and relationship to the applicant
- This is a part-time remote position of 20 hours/week
- The typical working hours for this position are from 8:00-4:00 p.m. M-F with some weekly required meetings but otherwise a flexible schedule
- The start date for this position is January 3, 2022
- Applications will be accepted until the position is filled
Graduate students interested in the infrastructure that supports global health organizations are especially encouraged to apply.