Applications Engineer Job Description
Title: Applications Engineer
Start date: October 2022
Founded by a group of committed Kenyans, Lwala builds the capacity of rural communities to advance their own comprehensive well-being. We support communities to design, implement, and evaluate solutions to their most pressing health challenges. Then, we build coalitions of communities, health workers, government, and universities to generate evidence of impact and infuse these insights into the formal health system in Kenya and beyond. This bottom-up change promises holistic solutions that are custom-built for the systems they are meant to reform.
Lwala is pursuing a growing portfolio of innovative community-based health interventions backed by robust data systems to generate organizational learning and evidence as we scale. Lwala’s extensive data system is heavily based on innovative digital health tools and platforms that generate high-quality data for decision making and concurrently act as job aids for front line health workers, reaching 125,000 clients.
The applications engineer is responsible for the oversight of all technical software systems at LCA that relate to digital health and support of program teams. This includes data collection applications, data pipelines, analysis and reporting dashboards. The position holder will maintain various existing database and digital data/information systems, including Salesforce, OpenFN, Commcare and other internal applications in support of Lwala’s Community Health digitization efforts. The position will also be responsible to review, implement, and manage quality of new systems or additional components of existing systems. The position may also support data and technology systems beyond Lwala’s community health data as needed.
Lwala is entering into a new partnership with Migori County MOH as they digitize over 2500 Community Health Workers via the eCHIS (Kenya’s electronic Community Health Information System) and link to Kenya’s new DHP (Digital Health Platform). You will also work to help adapt eCHIS to work with Lwala’s existing systems.
You’ll especially impress us if you have worked in public health, implementing mHealth technologies in low-resource settings. This position reports to Lwala’s Director of Digital Systems based in Nairobi.
The Applications Engineer will strengthen Lwala Community Alliance ability to holistically serve and improve the well-being of all customers through the support of technology solutions.
- Provide software architecture and design leadership for application development
- Conduct tests, and implement various software applications under Lwala Community Alliance’s portfolio of systems
- Ensure complete integration of all data sources such as Commcare, Salesforce and other reporting systems.
- Support the implementation of Open Source software(eCHIS), participate in communities and engage with other partners in software development
- Provide the technical leadership to adapt Kenya’s eCHIS to Lwala’s needs.
- Manage Lwala Community Alliance’s data pipelines, dashboards and reporting systems through setup and management of the data pipelines and ETL jobs as required
- Support integration of data systems such as OpenFN and other dashboard and reporting systems such as PowerBI, Superset from multiple data sources.
- Ensure scalability of existing systems to accommodate expansion to new program areas, including making forecasting recommendations for system upgrades and expansion
- Identify and address issues with system data quality in collaboration with Research and Learning , product management, field support, and program teams.
- Working with both onsite and remote external consultants and partners including Ministry of Health technical teams as deemed necessary
- Provide technical application and data analysis support across all systems including KenyaEMR, Commcare, PowerBI, Salesforce, OpenFN, eCHIS, and other applications as needed.
- Triage and Troubleshoot errors, resolve bugs and issues, and improve the overall efficiency of the software.
- Evaluate new applications for suitability to the processes as provided by other internal and external departments
- Operate, configure, maintain and manage software applications to ensure optimal software performance and high availability
- Maintain versatility to work with other technologies and teams or partners as directed by the reporting line manager to tackle the needs of the organization
Qualifications & Experience
(The knowledge, skills and abilities may be acquired through a combination of formal schooling, self-education, prior experience, or on-the-job training)
- Diploma or degree in computer science, statistics, information technology or a related field.
- Minimum 3 years of experience working with Electronic Medical Records as an applications engineer, software developer, database administrator, data system analyst or similar position, particularly in health informatics.
- Experience working with community-based projects in Kenya.
- Experience in working with Open Source software and tools
Specialized Skills/Training/Professional Qualifications:
- Working Experience with different types of Databases, OpenFN, Commcare, SalesForce is preferred
- Strong communications skills.
- Ability to take initiative and be proactive
- Ability to understand community-based programs and how to link them to technology.
- Dedication to the mission of Lwala Community Alliance.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Attention to details and problem solving skills.
- Ability to learn new systems and software quickly.
- Creative thinking in problem solving
Please send the following to email@example.com with the subject line “Applications Engineer”.
- Current CV/resume.
- Letter of Interest detailing related skills and experience.
- 3 professional references with name, title, email, phone contact, and relationship to the applicant.