Product Manager - Digital Systems Job Description
Title: Product Manager - Digital Systems
Location: Migori, Kenya
Start date: Oct 2022
Founded by a group of committed Kenyans, Lwala builds the capacity of rural communities to advance their own comprehensive well-being. We support communities to design, implement, and evaluate solutions to their most pressing health challenges. Then, we build coalitions of communities, health workers, government, and universities to generate evidence of impact and infuse these insights into the formal health system in Kenya and beyond. This bottom-up change promises holistic solutions that are custom-built for the systems they are meant to reform.
Lwala is pursuing a growing portfolio of innovative community-based health interventions backed by robust data systems to generate organizational learning and evidence as we scale. Lwala’s extensive data system is heavily based on innovative digital health tools and platforms that generate high-quality data for decision making and concurrently act as job aids for front line health workers, reaching 125,000 clients.
The Digital System Product Manager is a new position, supporting a quickly growing and innovative team that implements our flagship digital technologies, such as Lwala Mobile, a Commcare-based job aid for Community Health Workers, and our Salesforce-based information management system. A central responsibility of the role will be to manage an exciting new project partnering with Migori County MOH as they digitize over 2500 Community Health Workers via the eCHIS (Kenya’s electronic Community Health Information System) and link to Kenya’s new DHP (Digital Health Platform).
The Digital Systems Manager is Lwala’s champion of successful digital system implementation. You will be a linkage point with Lwala’s Programs team, to translate requirements into execution in support of high-quality data and effective program digital tools. And you will work hand in hand with Migori County’s MOH team, sharing your technical know-how to offer practical support as they realize their ambitious plan to digitize CHWs. Project management skills are a must, with demonstrated experience in the software development cycle and Agile software development methodology.
In addition to your technical skills, understanding of M&E principles is critical, given the significant role digital data plays in Lwala’s learning ecosystem. You’ll be at the front line of generating data, translating it to make meaningful decisions, ensuring digital data quality, and providing systems analysis for improved functionality. You’ll especially impress us if you have worked in public health, implementing mHealth technologies in low-resource settings.
This position reports to Lwala’s Director of Digital Systems and will work closely with the Director of Research, Learning & Impact and Program leads.
The responsibilities of the Digital Systems Product Manager include:
Government Partnership and Technical Assistance
- Leads Lwala’s project management outcomes for the Migori County MOH eCHIS program,
- including technical assistance and effective partner collaboration with government counterparts
- Ably represents and actively participates in government working groups related to digital technology / mHealth, including eCHIS subcommittees at the national and Migori County level
Product Manager/Sprint Master
- Works with the Director of Digital System to prepare tasks for the team on a bi-weekly basis
- Translates the product vision into actionable steps, to ensure the full software development life cycle is completed.
- Participates in the Agile sprint process, and ensures that all scrums meetings and practices are adhered to as scrum master
- Manages a team to work towards the required outcomes and maintains versatility in the work that is set out
- Works with stakeholders in achieving the objectives set and ensures that the functionality and final product meet the stakeholders expectations and is able to
Scoping, System Design & UAT
- Participates in any scoping or UAT associated with new and updated software design
- Demos work and get feedback
- Maps workflows and works with the programs team to fully understand product requirements
- Finalizes system design release plan
- Completes and execute on a QA plan
- Builds best practices for testing new releases and rolling out system upgrades
- Recommends local changes to modules to improve UX and data use
Data Quality, Use and Reporting
- Builds and runs reports and dashboards
- Works with Lwala staff and management to encourage a culture of data use
- Identifies gaps in data quality and supports resolution
- Ensures reporting from the system is accurate and effective and meets stakeholder requirements
- Ensures regular data quality monitoring is reviewed and actioned
- Works with Lwala’s systems administrator and field manager to ensure that all Lwala processes are documented
- Develops and ensures complete compliance with internal data governance policies and strategies
- Contributes significantly to content and updates of Lwala’s internal wiki
- Translates technical concepts, issues, and requirements to non-technical audiences and effectively shares key system issues within Lwala’s Digital System team and with other necessary stakeholders
- Creates training materials and job aids
- Supports a team of remote(in the field) or onsite field officers to deliver on the set objectives
- Performs performance reviews and ensure outcome based deliverables are achieved by the team
- Works with the relevant departments to ensure policies are adhered to and the team members needs are met in the workplace
Qualifications and Experience
- Degree in Digital Health, Informatics, Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Information Technology, Software Engineering, Global Health or another relevant field (Masters preferred)
- Minimum 5 years progressive experience in leading, managing and advising field implementation for health information strategies and digital health, preferably in a public international health program environment.
- Recent prior experience (within the last 3 years) as information systems or digital health project manager.
- Experience providing technical assistance on digital transformation programs or digital health programs to government, donors, and/or implementing partners.
- Expert project management and managerial skills in planning health information systems or e-health projects with a culturally diverse, multidisciplinary team in low-resource countries.
- Experience in adhering to and driving teams to adhere to agile software development lifecycles and adoption of agile methodologies, processes, and tools as part of the project management approach.
- Experience working with technology teams to ensure design and solution architecture outputs meet the business and program / user requirements.
- Deep understanding of evolving international health funding priorities, the key players, technical state-of-the-art thinking and priorities, and program development roles and opportunities
- Understanding of sustainability challenges in low-income countries and rural contexts.
- Excellent skills in facilitation, team building and coordination
- Strong interpersonal skills that establish and maintain rapport with diverse audiences, and comfortable managing different interests to achieve overall alignment for program objectives and organizational big wins
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to manage several major activities simultaneously and work in a complex environment with short deadlines and intense pressure to perform
- Experience in national health information systems development preferred
- Based in Migori County, Kenya
- Visionary innovator - The individual must be able to build strategy and vision for sustainable, right-sized and high-quality digital tools that contribute to strong local community health systems.
- Commitment to impact – The individual should be passionate about Lwala’s mission and the population we serve, and relentless in pursuit of generating evidence and learning to understand our impact as we test our community-based innovations and scale with government and partners.
- Communication skills – Strong written and verbal communications skills are essential, in particular, the ability to communicate complex thoughts and ideas simply and effectively and tailor communications to the non-technical audience.
- Ability to create “structure out of nothing” – Strong ability to turn a visual reality or imagined outcome into a codified set of steps, actions and goals on paper - and keep the team on task for the most important tasks.
- Self-starter – The individual must be a highly motivated self-starter who can creatively ensure that the engagement between different teams (mainly Programs, Research & Learning, and Operations) is cohesive, while ensuring that the main decisions are evidence-based.
- Energy, motivation and stamina - The role can be demanding and, at times, subject to external pressures for timely completion. The candidate must be adaptive, creative, organized, and highly motivated.
Please send the following to email@example.com with the subject line “Product Manager - Digital Systems”.
- Current CV/resume.
- Letter of Interest detailing related skills and experience.
- 3 professional references with name, title, email, phone contact, and relationship to the applicant.